History of Bell Ringing
Bells have been rung in celebration since they were invented thousands of years ago. Towards the end of the middle ages bells suspended in church towers would be chimed, calling people to worship, by pulling a rope attached to a lever fixed to the bell. This ringing was random in nature as little, if any, control could be exercised over the timing of the swinging bell. Later bells were mounted on a quadrant bringing an element of control but it wasn't until the 17th century that bells were mounted on a full wooden wheel with a Stay and Slider to enable full circle ringing under control with the bell able to come to rest in the upward position. Complex methods soon followed where the order that the bells would ring changed each time the rope was pulled. These methods, of which there are hundreds, with names such as Grandsire, Stedman and Reverse Canterbury, can be rung for just a few minutes or extended for several hours depending on the ambition of the band to complete one without stopping or mistake. Full circle bell ringing is essentially an English tradition and has established it's place in history through it's use not only for worship and service to the church but also for celebrations of local, national and international events. Bell ringing as a traditional skill, like any other, takes time to learn but once the ringer is competent they will be welcomed in any tower anywhere in the world to join a band of like minded people who enjoy the art. In some areas of the country bell ringing is flourishing with ringers of all ages taking part, however many rural areas are finding that recruitment of people into ringing, to perpetuate this traditional art, is challenging and therefore in danger of dying out. Bell ringing is fun; it's also a secular, leisure, activity with many groups and societies ringing bells for social reasons and for the mathematical challenge that bell towers with higher numbers of bells offer.
More information can be found here
Local HistoryThe Battle of Sedgemoor July 6th 1685 – the last battle to be fought on English soil. The ringing chamber is dedicated to the Duke of Monmouth, it was from the battlements of this tower that on the 5th July the Duke spied upon the assembled army of King James II under the command of the Earl of Feversham. His intention was to spring a surprise attack on the kings forces under the cover of darkness that night but during the march to the battlefield, when crossing a rhine, a pistol was accidentally discharged which alerted the kings army. The element of surprise was lost and the Duke's pitchfork rebel army suffered huge losses.
You can find out more at the Visitor Centre Weston Zoyland.
The Churchwarden accounts show many entries for building work on the tower and spire since this time, and it is probable that the weight of the spire caused settlement in the tower, which then needed extra reinforcement. The two strong buttresses at the corners of the tower may have been added in 1383-5. On the east side there is an iron plate inscribed GB-HP-1694 which recalls some repairs. The spire has also been struck by lightning several times, and in 1814 the top 35 feet needed to be rebuilt following damage by lightning. This repair was carried out by a local builder Mr Thomas Hutchings who also built the Dome on the cornhill market house. In 1887 further buttresses were added to the tower and extensive repairs were carried out on the spire in 1994-5.
The weathercock on the top of the spire is 2ft 3 in. high, 2ft 7in. in length and weighs 16 lbs. Inscribed on the comb are the names Thomas Brimble and John Rouckleiffe, 1770, and we think these are probably the makers. It has been re-gilded in 1887, 1923, 1937 and 1994.
The ClockThere has been a clock at Saint Mary’s Church for hundreds of years. A document still survives from 1393 which stated that it was the duties for one of the chaplain’s to regulate the clock.
The previous clock to the present one had a black face and was located several feet lower down, over the east window of the tower. By the middle of the nineteenth century it became very unreliable. The present clock, which is mounted back to front necessitating access via a rear platform, was installed in 1869. It was made by the Nottingham firm of S. and W. Cope, and the workings are constructed on the principal of a double three legged gravity escapement, which was invented for the great clock at the Houses of Parliament. It is considered to be the best escapement ever devised for use in large clocks subject to wind and weather. The clock face has a diameter of 7 feet and is illuminated at night.
In the clock room on the North wall is an Ellacombe chime mechanism. This apparatus allowed one person to chime the bells, perhaps to music, instead of ringing the bells full circle.More information can be found here